Do people in your organisation use USB flash drives?
Did you know that a lost flash drive could lead to a £80,000 fine?
If an employee loses an unencrypted portable device containing sensitive personal data then your organisation could be heavily fined...
Things you need to know...
- The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has the power to fine businesses and government bodies up to £500,000 for serious breaches of the Data Protection Act. This includes the loss of unencrypted USB data storage drives that contains client data.
- The European Union will soon have the power to fine companies €100 million or 5% of their annual turnover if they are found to be in breach of the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The forthcoming legislation compels anyone who holds data on EU Citizens to implement adequate security measures to protect data from loss or theft.
There are many examples of organisations that have already fallen foul of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
- A Council receives £80,000 fine for losing an unencrypted flash drive containing sensitive information about hundreds of children with special educational needs.
- A University Hospitals NHS Trust fined £325,000 after unencrypted hard drives with highly sensitive patient data were sold on eBay.
- A Nursery School in has fallen foul of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) after an unencrypted backup tape containing sensitive data on pupils and parents was stolen from its offices.
How to protect yourself
Make sure that if any sensitive data is being stored or transported on a portable device then that device has a high level of encryption. Micro Plus and iStorage can help you secure your data with portable storage devices that are easy to use, ultra-secure and compliant.
If your organisation is a qualifying UK based school, business, charity or government body then Micro Plus can provide you will a secure drive on a free 30-day trial (with absolutely no obligation)
- Secure: PIN Code Activated, Hardware Encrypted Storage Devices
- Compliant: ICO and GDPR Compliant Products
- Compatible: Works with almost all computers
- Tough: Brute Force Protection
- Secure: Military Grade AES 256-bit Hardware Encryption
- Easy to Use: Auto Lock, No Software Required
- No Risk: Free 30-day evaluation available for schools, business and public sector
Don't wait for the inevitable data loss disaster, Micro Plus Computers can keep you prepared by ensuring no unauthorised person can access your data while on the move. Devices from iStorage including diskashur, datashur and datashur personal could save your organisation from a hefty fine.
Don't wait for disaster to strike, get in touch with Micro Plus to arrange a Free 30-day evaluation unit.
Got a question for us?
Free 30-day evaluation devices are available to qualifying UK based school, business, charity or government bodies subject to status and availability
I have always purchased my computers (and all things computer related) from micro plus. The large suppliers are so impersonal and where micro plus really excel is in after sales care. I had real difficulties with a computer I bought, recently, and the micro plus guys came up trumps and really went the extra mile to sort out the problems. I cannot thank them enough.
I am not an expert on computers by any means, but my experience at Micro Plus have been positive. I have been treated with efficiency and politeness and the problems that I have had have been resolved swiftly. Consequently I would , and indeed have recommended them to others.